"The most fundamental reason one paints is in order to see." - Brett Whiteley

Saturday, April 25, 2015

Fairie Festival 2015

The Crazy Jones Women

It's almost May, which means it's almost Fairie Festival. I've been attending this festival for about 17 years. My Aunt Lynne used to be the matriarch of Wing makers. Since then she's retired and now runs the peppermint-lemon stand. Very popular and very tasty. Fairie Festival is tradition, every first weekend in May is automatically marked on the calendar. This will be the first year of me vending with a baby... well more like toddler now. I still call her the baby though. I probably will even when she's 30.

Most of what I'll be selling is at least 6 years old- leftovers to feel like I have product to sell. Although I did push myself to finish 4 paintings in time for the festival. I've been wanting to show another side to my artwork at this venue for the past few years. Finally I'll be able to hang some of my fine art pieces. My Mother, sister, sister-in-law and I have been vendors for five years now. I look forward to spring just so I can come home and spend the whole weekend outside wearing fun costumes and glitter with some of my most favorite people. Of course it's also fun to indulge in Lavender Ice Cream.

 We will be in the same area by the farm house. So come and enjoy the outdoors, music, food, artists, and of course the Lavender Ice Cream! Their Coffee Ice Cream is also pretty darn good.

Just for fun here are some Fairie Festival pictures from the past:

 My Adorable Older-Little Sister



Cousin's being forced to sell our work


 Butts...


Mom's knitted Mossy Hood and Shawl 


A Very Fairie Family 


This creep (I mean very talented piper) wearing one of my NightSquid shirts 


Me and my husband before we were married.
First he had to pass the Fairie Festival test. 
He bought my engagement ring that weekend


Josie's first time...

...and she LOVED it


2010

2011 

My Beautiful and very talented Mother



Besides waiting for the last minute to make sure I have new paintings for this festival I've been keeping busy with more pet portraits. 

I was asked to do a portrait of my friends cat who recently passed away. These are some of the hardest portraits to paint. I did cry a little- a few times- while making this. Although I didn't know Big Boy that well, knowing how much he made Kaitlin happy was enough for me to feel sad that he's gone. With the magic of his being I was able to capture his spirit in what's now one of my most favorite paintings. 


Here's my brother's dog, Freya. I'm so in love with her. She's an American Bulldog; tough as nails, squishy as a bean bag chair, and as strong as Arnold Schwarzenegger. I painted this on canvas board- which I haven't painting on in years. I feel this picture does not do the actual painting justice. However it still makes me want to smooch those bulldog lips. So I feel I've succeeded.


"Ashes". Another kitty who has passed away. His owner wanted a painting that showed his angel wing markings on his shoulders. This was a tricky painting to get right as the photo wasn't the best quality. I'm not quite good at making up what isn't there to be seen... yet. I hope to get there one day.




No comments:

Post a Comment